NetHack - Vanilla NetHack

User: [Log In] [Create A New Profile]
Actions: [New Topic] [Print View] [RSS]
Search
Path: [NAO] [Forums] [NetHack]
Topic:
chaotic elf can't kill shopkeepers and watch? (5 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
December 14, 2009 09:01PM

chaotic elf can't kill shopkeepers and watch?
shabadoo99 - December 14, 2009 09:01PM

I'm confused. My chaotic elven ranger, who was doing very well (found a wand of wishing in the mines, wearing +2 gray dragon scale mail at level 10), angered his god--apparently by killing shopkeepers--in the online version of Nethack.

There was an icebox in one of the stores, and in that icebox was a chickatrice. He used it to kill a couple of shopkeepers and the watch. Result: angry god.

What gives? I thought chaotic characters could kill anybody they wanted.

There was also a Woodland elf corpse in the icebox. He sacrificed that, partially mollifying his god, which summoned Jubilex. Then Jubilex blocked the door of the temple so he couldn't get out. Didn't want to anger the priest by digging a hole in the wall, so zapped J. with a wand of teleportation. He vanished, but got angry, swallowed the ranger, and although I wished for a wand of digging and escaped, I had nothing to cure the resulting sickness. Is that because the god was angry, or is it always the case that zapping a monster with a wand of teleport will make it hostile? And will digging through a temple wall make the priest angry?

Thanks for your insights. I'm wondering if this is one of the unique aspects of the online version, or if chaotic characters aren't supposed to kill peacefuls with footrices....

Re: chaotic elf can't kill shopkeepers and watch?
lorimer - December 15, 2009 12:33PM

Chaotics can kill "always peaceful" characters without the "Murderer!" penalty, but they still receive the alignment penalty. Also, your god wasn't angry, your alignment was just low so he was displeased; there's a difference, and the former is much worse than the latter.

http://sporkhack.com/alignment_spoiler may help (while the spoiler is hosted on the Sporkhack server, it was written for vanilla and is only valid for vanilla; alignment has changed significantly in Spork).

codehappy - December 19, 2009 04:28AM

Peaceful monsters are angered if you zap them with wands. This even includes "helpful" wands like the wand of speed monster or the wand of make invisible. It's okay to zap tame monsters, but not peaceful ones.

SmashFan2005 - December 19, 2009 02:43PM

All of the above are true. and Priests don't get angry if you destroy the walls of the temple. The watchmen in minetown WILL get angry if they catch you breaking the law. (Breaking walls, killing shopkeeper/priest)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 02:44PM by SmashFan2005.

shabadoo99 - December 29, 2009 10:55PM

thanks for the clarification.....

Go to Topic: [Previous] [Next]