Path: [NAO] [Forums] [NetHack]
Topic:
Private Museum (6 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
March 12, 2010 09:19PM

Private Museum
Herja - March 12, 2010 09:19PM

I've been toying with the idea of playing an Archeologist, with the idea of building my own private museum in the dungeon. I'd like to collect statues of every unique character in the game including the quest nemesis, quest leader, all of the prince demons, the high priest of moloch, rodney, Croesus, Vlad, The Oracle, the 3 Erinyes, the 9 Nazguls, Medusa, some Angels, Perseus, the statues from the Valley of the Dead, etc.

Is it possible to steal the bell, book, and candelabrum without killing their owners? Should I bring a hoard of monkey pets with me to steal the items before stoning the owners. I guess the way to do it is to kill the owner, take the items, then zap the corpse with a wand of undead turning, and then finally stone them.

Does undead turning work on Vlad's corpse? Does he turn back into a human?

Will the Wizard of Yendor stay a statue, or will he keep following me around.

I think it'd be fun to drag all the statues into one room and then stone to flesh them whenever I feel like beating them up again. I've killed Demogorgon more than 50 times already in my current game. Or perhaps revive them all at once, slip on a ring of conflict and sit back and watch the epic battle royal.

The room could be in Fort Ludios where there are no stairs and no teleport. Or even the middle of Vlad's tower, where it'd be eligible to leave a bones file.

If leaving a bones file, I'd of course add my own statue to the collection. What would happen to the other statues? Could someone come across my bones files and revive my Quest leader?

For completeness, the museum would also store as many artifacts as possible and at least one of each gemstone (diamond named "Hope", sapphire named "The Star of India", etc.)

Anyone tried anything like this? Thoughts?

Re: Private Museum
Wolfechu - March 13, 2010 03:55AM

I seem to recall that bell/book/candle/AoY can't actually be kept in containers? So if you stone someone, wouldn't they force their way out of the statue?

codehappy - April 01, 2010 09:08AM

> Is it possible to steal the bell, book, and
> candelabrum without killing their owners? Should
> I bring a hoard of monkey pets with me to steal
> the items before stoning the owners. I guess the
> way to do it is to kill the owner, take the items,
> then zap the corpse with a wand of undead turning,
> and then finally stone them.

You can just stone them, the unique items won't be in the statue.

> Will the Wizard of Yendor stay a statue, or will
> he keep following me around.

You can stone Rodney but he always comes back. So you could actually get a whole bunch of statues of the wizard if you like. And yes, if you stone-to-flesh multiple Rodney statues, you get multiple Wizards of Yendor.

> If leaving a bones file, I'd of course add my own
> statue to the collection. What would happen to
> the other statues? Could someone come across my
> bones files and revive my Quest leader?

You get a doppelganger disguised as the Quest Leader/Nemesis if you do this.

> For completeness, the museum would also store as
> many artifacts as possible and at least one of
> each gemstone (diamond named "Hope", sapphire
> named "The Star of India", etc.)

In a bones file the non-artifact objects would lose their special names.

> Anyone tried anything like this? Thoughts?

Collecting stuff is fun to do if you're bored with a regular or "normal" conduct game.

scorchgeek - May 09, 2010 07:31PM

You'd have to wish for some of the statues--your quest nemesis can't be stoned. But it is a cool idea.

Tormuse - August 26, 2010 02:38PM

You can also steal items without killing by polymorphing yourself into a nymph or having a nymph pet. (You'll have to be careful with the polymorphing, though; nymphs don't have many hit points) I think foocubi can steal stuff too.

Xandersol - September 06, 2011 12:22AM

I'd love to see some guy come across it on Herse...
"Oh my god, a special room that isn't on the wiki!"

Go to Topic: [Previous] [Next]