NetHack - Vanilla NetHack

User: [Log In] [Create A New Profile]
Actions: [New Topic] [Print View] [RSS]
Search
Path: [NAO] [Forums] [NetHack]
Topic:
Configuring Nethack for a laptop (4 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
March 27, 2010 05:07PM

Configuring Nethack for a laptop
Deadlights - March 27, 2010 05:07PM

Ok, I've been playing NetHack for a little while now so I decide to start playing on a public server. I play on a laptop with no number pad. When playing on my own this is no problem as nethack.exe seems to have the arrow keys assigned to movement by default (I just memorized which numbers are which for diagonal movement). The alt.org server, however seems to require number keys for movement. Is there any way to fix this so that arrows keys are used for movement?

Re: Configuring Nethack for a laptop
Minimiscience - March 27, 2010 06:31PM

Just use [tt]hjklyubn[/tt] for movement like a real hacker, you uppity young whippersnapper. And get off my lawn!

-- 
There are some things in ascensions zorkmids can't buy.
For everything else, there's Platinum Yendorian Express Card.

Deadlights - March 29, 2010 09:58PM

I am going to take that as a no.

fauzii - March 30, 2010 07:48PM

I have yet to find a way to use the arrow keys. It involves some wild key mapping as far as I can tell. You can access the nethack.alt.org configurations in-game by typing a capital 'O' (or from the main menu, but then it opens in vi, using vi is harder than using hjkl). There is a toggle for the number_pad. Default is '1' or on. Turning this off makes the 'k' and 'j' keys (and others) act as dedicated movement keys. It takes a while to get used to and it causes hand cramps, but it works and is probably more intuitive than using the number row at the top of the keyboard. And of course kicking is now done with ctrl-d. I admit that I prefer the number pad, but using the hjkl keys gets comfortable after a bit. Except for the hand cramps. Maybe I just have stupid fingers. Cheers!

Go to Topic: [Previous] [Next]