Path: [NAO] [Forums] [NetHack]
Topic:
Stash help (2 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
August 28, 2010 09:52PM

Stash help
ajbRad - August 28, 2010 09:52PM

I have recently decided that it is time for me to learn a bit about stashes. However, I couldn't get too much out of the wiki post. So I have some questions-

1. Why should I make a stash?

2. What should go in the stash?

3. Where should the stash be located?

4. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance. :-)

Re: Stash help
Wolfechu - September 05, 2010 03:23AM

1. It's about speed. You can't carry an infinite amount of items, especially before you get a BoH. And there's going to be a lot of stuff you don't need instant access to. Spellbooks would be a good example; a wizard might end up with dozens, each of which you remember for thousands of turns. And they're damned heavy to carry around. Being burdened or worse as you explore is the best way to get yourself YASD, so travel light, and make camp somewhere with the stuff you don't need /right now/.

2. Anything useful that doesn't need to be with you. Spare potions/holy water, excess wands, spellbooks, food. Once you have a blessed bag of holding, you can be more liberal in what you carry.

3. Ideally, in a chest or box, with Elbereth <e>ngraved on the square it's in, near to an aligned altar. This should be your base camp for making holy water, sacrificing, praying, etc while you build up your gear. The box will stop random monsters helping themselves to stuff, the Elbereth will stop monsters liable to just pick up (and possibly digest) the actual box. Engrave Elbereth with fire or lightning if possible, so it won't get erased.

If you haven't found an altar yet, I tend to keep the stash box near the down stairs on the level. That way you can (usually) move it down a level when needed, and gradually head down until you do find an altar.

4. It's worth marking the box with an individual <N>ame. I usually call mine ***STASH** just so you know it's not a random box. If I'm going to be a long time farming or anything at an altar, I usually have a second box called +++junk+++ where everything useless goes. I like a tidy altar room. If nothing else, it's quicker to walk across in the long run.

Go to Topic: [Previous] [Next]