NetHack - Vanilla NetHack

User: [Log In] [Create A New Profile]
Actions: [New Topic] [Print View] [RSS]
Search
Path: [NAO] [Forums] [NetHack]
Topic:
What's your favorite class and why? (13 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
November 08, 2009 07:49PM

What's your favorite class and why?
SmashFan2005 - November 08, 2009 07:49PM

We need some discussion so.. yeah. What's your favorite class and why? Mine would have to be barbarians. Mostly because they're easy to ascend with.

Re: What's your favorite class and why?
paxed - November 08, 2009 08:21PM

I like wizard, rogue, tourist, healer, archeologist, roughly in that order. Not the easiest classes, but I like the tricky early game...

Eidolos - November 17, 2009 01:14AM

Wizard because spellcasting is massively unbalanced.

Minimiscience - November 09, 2009 01:04AM

Monk, as it was one of my best classes when I first started playing, and the ability to easily adhere to numerous conducts goes well with my obsessive-compulsive playing style

DarthL33tSA - November 09, 2009 02:33AM

Rogue:
  • Starts with a stack of reusable missiles, which are easy to get more of and have +1 multishot. Mumaks and blue jellies aren't likely to ruin your day.
  • Unrestricted in dagger, dart, saber, longsword and two-handed sword.
  • Excellent quest artifact and easy nemesis (albeit difficult to reach).
  • Can reach Skilled in the crucial Divination (detect monsters) and Escape (levitation) schools, and a respectable ~7/8 success rate once IN is maxed.
  • And of course, the backstab damage -- up to d30, for each multishotted dagger or (poisoned) dart.
All in all, an excellent assortment of early- and late-game advantages.

gelbschnee - November 10, 2009 07:12AM

I've been playing barbarian lately, but I have never ascended. Hopefully this forum will be able to help people like me.B-)

efot - November 10, 2009 09:13PM

Healer, because I'm a protection racket fiend. The potions of healing and wand of sleep are great for surviving the trip to minetown. The starting gold is a big help once I get there.

Archaeologist would be my second favorite for the racket. Identifying then selling gems = profit. Identifying gems, selling them, putting them in your sack with your gold, having your pet steal the sack = lotsa profit. I also love having a pick-axe for taking shortcuts through dark mine levels.

ajbRad - November 16, 2009 04:11AM

I like knights the best because they were the very first class I had ever tried. Following knights, I like monks (for their strength) and rangers (Good ranged combat)
Something that I find Ironic is that I'm not very good with "strong" classes, like Valkyries.

SmashFan2005 - November 16, 2009 02:37PM

Yeah.. I myself have wanted to ascend w/ a monk. Haven't gotten past quest though...:-(

Wolfechu - November 16, 2009 07:20PM

Don't really have a preference. I'm at the point (other than for working on my stats on NAO) of picking 'y' when it asks if I want the game to pick a random r/c/g at the start.

Fond of Valks, as one was my first ascension, and barbarians for just hitting crap. I perversely like tourists, because despite the lack of weaponskills etc. I seem to do well with them. On the other hand, despite liking Archaeologists, I rarely do have a good game with one.

Krenium - November 18, 2009 02:15AM

I'd have to say knight and tourist, probably.

Knight because they have a lot of interesting options at their disposal that gives them unique advantages; tourists because they've got options.

fauzii - February 14, 2010 04:09AM

I too have never ascended, so I play a Samurai every game to try to improve. I was playing Valkyries for a while for the same reason. Not sure why I switched... Probably for Expert in #TWOWEAPON.

I do think I might try Monks for a while to have a little extra help from spells. Too many YASDs on lvl 12 or in the mines. polymorph trap = <3

.:f:.

casmith789 - February 26, 2010 02:22PM

Valks. They hit hard, hit fast, and you don't have to think. Get reflection and that's basically ascension :)

Oh, and they're great for speed (realtime) running :D

Go to Topic: [Previous] [Next]