Path: [NAO] [Forums] [NetHack]
Topic:
Stat building (5 Posts)
Started By:
Date:
November 11, 2009 05:06AM

Stat building
gelbschnee - November 11, 2009 05:06AM

Can someone give me some advice for building stats?

such as:

str
dex
co

etc...

I can't ever seem to build these up quickly and It would be great if someone had some tips.

Thanks

Re: Stat building
paxed - November 11, 2009 07:52AM

gelbschnee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can someone give me some advice for building
> stats?
>

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Exercise

-- 
You( "are momentarily disoriented." );

SmashFan2005 - November 11, 2009 10:53PM

For dexterity, you need to not be sustained and you must fight a lot. Strength can be built up by eating certain corpses and foods.
As for Con.. I'm not sure why that goes up. That link that paxed gave you should help though.

Wolfechu - November 16, 2009 07:14PM

Con goes up mostly from making sure you're not hungry; stay at no message or satiated for a while (such as when you're going through the mines). Strength will also go up from pushing boulders around. If you're weak, sokoban might be a better place to visit first than the mines.

codehappy - November 18, 2009 09:44PM

Exercising stats isn't the only (or even the easiest) way to build them, of course. And some stats you can't build by exercise.

For everything: Blessed potions of gain ability. You get a lot of bang for the buck here. Try not to quaff non-blessed potions until you can bless them en masse. Quaffing from fountains can give you this effect as well, but quaffing from fountains is dangerous.

For strength: Eat tins of spinach, royal jelly, and giant corpses. (Using a tinning kit or an amulet of magical breathing for the giant corpses is a good idea, you don't want to choke.) Or wear gauntlets of power (automatic Str 25) or rings of gain strength.

For intelligence and wisdom: Quaff blessed potions of enlightenment. Wear a positively enchanted helmet of brilliance.

For charisma: Magic trap dancing (be aware: will generate monsters and towers of flame, but can also get you awesome pets). Rings of adornment. Wearing a cornuthaum, for Wizards.

For dexterity, if you really need it: Gauntlets of dexterity -- they have to be positively enchanted however.

In vanilla, don't forget to apply your unicorn horn when you first get it and subsequently if you lose stats. A stat saved is a stat gained.

Go to Topic: [Previous] [Next]